REVIEW: The Heiress Effect (The Brothers Sinister, Book 2) by Courtney Milan

Outspoken heroine dresses garishly and insults others with a smile and innocent look to ward off men from wanting to marry her. She is to make herself available for marriage per her uncle’s demand. She has 400+ more days of continuing her marriage-avoidance before her 19yo epileptic sister is legally free from their uncle’s wearying and sometimes dangerous over-involvement. For some reason, politically-ambitious Hero sees through her ruse & seems to understand her quandary. The problem is Hero is pressured by the marquess whose vote he wants to sway to humiliate heroine. He’s unsure what he’s going to do, especially when he finds himself more & more attracted to her.

What choice does he ultimately make & how does it affect his relationship with heroine & his political future?

This book was rich in its characterization and problem complexity. But it failed to interest me. It was overall mediocre. The emotional tone, romance, and sexual tension were tepid. It didn’t help that Hero was more beta than the alpha Hero I prefer. He was ambitious and smart but unsure about many things, trying hard to please others, and lacked a commanding presence. He was a low-key man who wanted more for his family and to avenge those who mocked him in the past for his illegitimate status. He was under the political thumb of one of his schoolmates and he was torn between his dislike of him and his need to please him in order to climb the political ladder. Hero was in awe of heroine for her courage to be herself no matter the opposition. Heroine was more alpha than he was. She was smart, confident, resilient, and more psychologically mature than Hero. She didn’t need a man in her life but felt lucky that she was attracted to Hero & that it was mutual. She wasn’t a simpering or pining miss. She did miss Hero when they were apart but she made good use of her time and money in the meantime. I liked her but I didn’t care for Hero too much. Hero wasn’t a match for her but he did love her for herself and wasn’t bothered by her brilliance. I believe they’ll have a HEA(happily ever after).

Moderately recommended.

*ARC courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
**A more detailed review is on my blog